Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Kisses from Katie-the book

I just finished reading Katie Davis' book, Kisses from Katie. It's so good! And so challenging. I am amazed by how she lives her love for Christ EVERYDAY. I highly encourage you to go read it!! Here are a few of my favorite parts of the book:
" 'Remember, God will never give you more than you can handle'. People repeat this frequently; I heard it when I was growing up and I hear it now. It is meant to be a source of encouragement, and it would be if I believed it were true.
But I don't.
I believe that God totally, absolutely, intentionally gives us more than we can handle. Because this is when we surrender to Him and He takes over, proving Himself by doing the impossible in our lives."
She goes on "...I have learned to accept it, even ask for it, this 'more than I can handle.' Because in these times, God shows Himself victorious. He reminds me that all of this life requires more of Him and less of me. God does give us more than we can handle. Not maliciously, but intentionally, in love, that His glory may be displayed, that we may have no doubt of who is in control, that people may see His grace and faithfulness shining through our lives."

WOW! How many times have I thought or said "God won't give us more than we can handle"? Many. I love the way Katie explains the reason for tough things to happen in our life. She has tough situations that arise daily in her life in Uganda. During the tough times is the only time we have to constantly rely on our Heavenly Father to pick up where we think we can't make it anymore. It takes such faith and courage to ask for the tough times so you can remain close to God and rely fully on Him. Wow. I think my prayers for my life need to change.

Here's another part of the book: "Here is the thing: I want big things from God. We want big things from God and then think its strange when He asks us to build an ark, or feed five thousand or march around a building for seven days with seven priests blowing trumpets made from rams' horns. I am asking for big things from God. Big things like a van I can take my whole family to church in and a house with ten showers. Bigger things like 147 million orphaned children in the world to each have a mommy who knows what they like for dinner. So really, I am not surprised at the craziness of my life. Every morning , as I wake up with some impossible task in front of me, I know that God will meet it with impossible strength and love. I serve a God who uses Moses, a murdered, to part the Red Sea; a God who let Peter, who would deny Him, walk on water. A God who looks at me, in my fallen weakness and says, 'You can do the impossible.' "
What a great reminder that when we ask for big things from God we need to remember that He asks us to do big things. I want to approach the big things in life like they are gifts from God.
Thank you Katie Davis for challenging my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment