This week one year ago Isaiah found out that he had a family,
a forever family. Many days he would ask an AWAA employee if he had a family
yet, and for 10 months the answer was “no”. But this week, one year ago, God
answered his prayers. Fortuna, an AWAA employee, was walking by him as he was
at recess and he heard the words he longed to hear “yes, you have a family”
I have asked Isaiah about finding out about us several
different times over that last 10 months, but I never got many details. He
usually answered “I knew it was going to be you when you left with Jacob” or “
I prayed it would be you guys and it was” or “I was so happy”. But yesterday I wanted
to know more. A few days ago he spent an hour telling Brad and I all about his
first three days being in the orphanage. His first three days actually consisted
of 3 different orphanages in two different cities and saying good bye to his
birth dad twice. He told us hour by hour what he did, who talked to him, what
he ate, what he rode in from this place to that. I treasured these words that
he was sharing because its more than he has ever said. I honestly don’t think
he was scared or ashamed of his story or past, he doesn’t like to talk details.
He will tell you the most recent thing that happened (like “how was school” and
he will always talk about the thing that happened at the end of the day). He wasn’t upset to talk about it, but he
wanted us to know. He mentioned how he was nervous and how great some of his
new friends were. I’m so thankful for these boys that took the time to make him
feel loved and fit right in. He said some guys were sad that he only spent one
day at the orphanage (the 2nd one in two days) because he was good
at soccer and they really wanted him to play on their team. Anyways, all this talking about his past made
me think more about what he was thinking when he found out he had an American
family waiting/praying/preparing/loving him from afar. Here is the story from
his point of view, he told me as I typed it:
I was playing outside at recess. Fortuna walked by and I
asked her if I had a family yet. (I asked if he asked her this everyday, he said
no, just sometimes the nannies, never her before). She smiled and said “yes,
you have a family, but it’s a secret.” I said “whoooo whooo” and went back playing.
That night I went to sleep thinking it was you and Dad, and I prayed it was.
The next morning I was in school and Fortuna showed up and said “Kirubel, come here”. I ran fast to her and she took me to the office and showed me your
pictures on your computer. Then she printed them out so I could have my own copy. I saw you and Dad walking Molly (our dog) and playing a game. (These were the pictures
from our Dossier for Jacob but they still had them and gave them to Isaiah). I
started smiling real big and said “I knew it” I knew that God would answer my
prayers. I still had your pictures from when you were here with Jacob and I
looked at them. I just knew when you left with Jacob that you would be
back for me and Kaleb. Then I went back school and everybody wanted to see the pictures, even my teacher. Everbody was asking "is this your family" and I said "yes this is my family". My teacher remembered you guys from last year when you came to get Jacob. Everybody said "wow they are a really good family". (He said many people remembered us from when we were there adopting Jacob.) I was smiling and happy all day. Everybody at America World wanted to see my family, so all day I got to show the nannies and everyone my family.
So, he says he knew that we were his family the whole five
months from when we left Ethiopia after completing Jacob’s adoption to starting
the process again and receiving the referral. I was sure we wouldn’t be. At
first I knew we couldn’t start the adoption process again, then I knew they
wouldn’t give us the referral for another baby (Kaleb was just over a year when
we met him, and is only 9 months older than Jacob) . I didn’t want the boys to
wait around for us (not that AWAA would have done that either) to be able to come back and adopt them (little did I know
that we would be back in Ethiopia less than 7 months later). But we went home and started updated our homestudy the 2nd week we were back. Long story short the boys papers were ready the same week ours were at the end of September. God knew these boys WERE meant to be our sons. SO THANKFUL!
I'm crying!! I love your family!
ReplyDeletelove that story! praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteOur Isaiah's faith is a wonderful lesson for all of us! God has provided for us in such an amazing way :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great memory! So thankful you and Isaiah shared it with the rest of us. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely amazing. I have never heard that side of the story from the child's perspective. Wow. I have tears! Thank you for sharing this!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful sharing. Thank you, Isaiah and Tara! I have tears.The faith of a child is a wonderful thing to behold.
ReplyDeleteThank You for this beautiful story! My husband and I are also in the process of adopting from Ethiopia through AWAA. We are still early in the process, we haven't even completed our home study yet, but we are so excited about our child. We would love to adopt several children, and they way you have had your house filled in such a short time is amazing! God bless your family!
ReplyDelete