Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Ethiopia Law Change
Unfortunatley the Ethiopia Adoption Program had some changes today. One of the several of reasons that we chose to adopt from Ethiopia was because you only had to travel once to get your child. Today those rules changed, now you must travel 2 times. Once for court and once to pick up your child. This makes the travel expense double, which means another $6000-7000 we weren't planning for. We have to try to look at the positive side and trust that God has His hand in all of this. We will get to meet our child within 1-2 months of accepting the referral. The heratbreaking part will be leaving them in Ethiopia while we come back here and wait 2-3 months to be able to go back and pick him/her up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your positive perspective! Considering that we could have a referral anyday and be able to meet our child 4-6 weeks later is VERY positive!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe'll see what God's plan is!!!!!
Smiles, Ashlie
www.fulmerstory.blogspot.com
Our next adoption journey will require two trips, also. I've gotten used to the idea, though, and I think it's actually a good way to make sure that everything is what we are expecting since our adoption will become official when we are not in the country.
ReplyDeleteWe will keep you in our prayers for finances to come through. God is in control, and He knows what awesome parents you will be.
Also, I love your new background!
I am actually getting really excited about it. I love to travel and am looking forward to going to Ethiopia twice and to meeting our child sooner! Brad on the other hand hates to to fly and isn't looking forward to two long trips.
ReplyDeleteWe did a visit trip (it wasn't required but made our daughter a US citizen when we landed in the US versus waiting on readoption in the US)...anyway, to be honest, leaving her was the hardest thing I have ever had to do! BUT...I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. We met our daughter...we bonded like crazy...3 months before we would have otherwise. She loves the photos of us together in Guatemala too!
ReplyDeleteOh and also, we were able to leave things with her foster mother for her...general baby things but also we left personal things too. CDs of us reading books, singing songs, talking to her so she'd get used to our voices, we slept with blankets and stuffed animals so she could get used to our smell, and baby photo albums (you know the fabric, bendy kind) with photos of our family. :-)